By Pastor James Mattek, Director of Ministry, Christian Family Solutions
This blog is updated from a 2016 post.
“It’s a scary world out there.”
We’ve heard comments like this repeatedly after senseless acts of violence rock us to the core. The world, in fact, has always been a troubled place filled with troubled people. The Bible says, “We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time” (Romans 8:22). It should never surprise us that the world will continue to be a frightening place filled with trouble. God predicts and promises this: “In this world you will have trouble,” Jesus said in John 16.
Lately our experiences seem to prove these words true. Whether you are a Christian or not, you may be wondering what to make of the world we are living in.
Are we to cower and hide? No. God’s promises give us a quiet confidence and faith-filled optimism. “Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10). Where is God in our world today? He still reigns. He is still in control, and knowing that calms our troubled minds. Knowing that his love for us endures forever, we face the future without fear. Knowing that he is preparing a place in heaven for those who believe in him, we are confident when we live and especially when we die.
A child once commented to me, “Jesus will take care of us…then he’ll take us home to heaven.” It’s that simple. It’s that wonderful. Lord, give us all the faith of a child.
Adding practical and clinical perspectives to biblical perspective:
Continued and random violence can test even the strongest faith. After all, we are human, with frailties and doubts. We experience real human emotions such as grief, sadness, and anger in the face of tragedy.
When these challenges happen, it is important to consider what is happening in your brain and fueling the emotion. We were created as both physical and spiritual beings. God provides resources for us through those who know how to heal both the mind and the soul. You can apply some of the techniques our licensed professional counselors offer to those who seek their assistance.
The resources below are available for you for a variety of situations you may be experiencing.
- How to Handle Grief and Support those in Grief – Licensed Professional Counselor Karen Fischer talks about grief with Pastor Bill Limmer.
- The Relationship Between Fear, Worry, and Anxiety – Licensed Professional Counselor Karen Fischer talks about these three with Pastor Bill Limmer.
- Dealing with and Minimizing Anger – Licensed Professional Counselor Karen Fischer talks about anger with Pastor Ben Sadler.
- “Helping Kids Cope After a Tragedy” – This handout by Licensed Clinical Social Worker Sheryl Cowling lays out some practical and biblical advice for how to appropriately address crisis events with children.
- “Coping Strategies Following a Crisis, Violence, or Community Tragedy” – Many people have been affected by the world’s violence and crisis events. This handout by Licensed Clinical Social Worker Sheryl Cowling helps adults cope with tragic events.
As always, our Christian counselors are a resource to hurting individuals and families, and counseling services can be provided in person at one of our locations, or via secure video from anywhere in the country or world. Contact us at 800-438-1772 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.